We're all watching our family budgets these days. Whether shopping with coupons or looking for two-for-one deals, we're taking advantage of all sorts of offers and savings that help us stretch our dollars.
This column will be dedicated to giving you five great local deals each week that will help your family’s bottom line. Since we do the scouting for you, you can save time as well as money.
You are a big part of this column. Let us hear about the deals you've seen. Just add them to our comment box. Then come back each week and see what we've uncovered together.
This week, Frugal Family reporter Carolyn Cunningham scoured our local sources to come up with fundraiser musical events for the American Cancer Society and Rescue Haiti Missions at the Dallas Theater, a downtown Dallas yard sale, free prescription drug disposal, a plant sale to fund a scholarship, a free "Touch a Truck" event with Radio Disney AM590 and Tuesday taco specials at Jim 'n Nick's Bar-B-Q in Hiram:
1. Downtown Dallas Events
Deal: On Friday and Saturday, Dallas will be busy with three events.
- On Friday night, the city of Dallas will host "Battle of the Bands" at the Dallas Theater, 208 Main St. The fee is $25 for each band wanting to play. Admission is $10. All proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Bands should register by calling Tina Clark at 770-443-8117. The first-place winner will get to perform one night for free at the Dallas Theater and keep half of the ticket sales.
- On Saturday, the city's fifth-annual Citywide Yard Sale will take place in the downtown district. Booths (8 feet by 12 feet) are available for $20. For information, call 770-445-7555.
- Then Saturday night, the Dallas Theater will be the site of a free Rescue Haiti Missions Benefit with Pastor Mel Rolls and Sola-Gratia. Any money donated will be used for missions outreach in Atlanta. For more information, call Chuck at 678-849-0939.
Hours: 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday for "Battle of the Bands."
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday for the Dallas yard sale.
7 p.m. Friday for "Rescue Haiti Missions Benefit."
Contact: 678-363-0813, Dallas Theater Box Office.
2. Free Drug Disposal
Deal: The Paulding County Sheriff’s Office (PCSO) and the Haralson-Paulding Drug Task Force (HPDTF) will partner together to participate in the second-annual nationwide prescription drug “Take-Back” initiative that seeks to prevent increased pill abuse and theft. Both agencies will collect potentially dangerous expired, unused and unwanted prescription drugs for destruction at the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office on Saturday.
This free service also is anonymous with no questions asked.
Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
Location: Paulding County Sheriff’s Office, 247 Industrial Way North, Dallas.
3. Master Gardeners' Plant Sale for Scholarship
Deal: The Paulding County Master Gardeners will hold their plant sale on Saturday, promising "great plants and garden decor for your yard and garden at great prices." The Master Gardeners certification program is a division of The University of Georgia's Cooperative Extension Service through the College of Agricultural and Environmental Services.
Cash or checks only will be accepted. Proceeds will be used to fund a $1,000 college scholarship to a Paulding County student who is studying horticulture, botany or forestry in an accredited college or technical school. The deadline to apply for this scholarship is 5 p.m. Friday.
Hours: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
Location: Paulding County Extension Office, 530 West Memorial Drive, Dallas.
4. Free 'Touch a Truck' Event
Deal: For free, children and those of all ages are invited to touch and learn about various law enforcement and road construction vehicles this Saturday. The Paulding County "Touch A Truck Day" will include the county's transportation, fire and police employees and surprises. Radio Disney AM590 will be present with music, games, contests and prizes.
Hours: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday.
Location: Mt. Tabor Park, 1550 East Paulding Drive off Ga. 92, Dallas.
Contacts: 770-505-3885 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours: Sundays through Thursdays, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.;
Fridays and Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.