The largest Civil War military training camp in Georgia, Camp McDonald,
served as home for several thousand soldiers at various times during the
first three years of the conflict. Located in Big Shanty (modern-day
Kennesaw), the installation opened on June 11, 1861, when troops
stationed at Camp Brown in nearby Smyrna relocated to the new 60-acre
installation. Brigadier General William Phillips, founder of the
Phillips Legion, named the camp in honor of his former law mentor and
twenty-ninth governor of Georgia - Charles J. McDonald.