Submitted by City Clerk Cynthia Geyer
Summary minutes from the City of Hiram public hearing and regular City Council meeting on April 1.
Meeting attendees: Mayor Doris Devey, Mayor Pro Tem Pep Rollins, Councilperson Teresa Philyaw, Councilperson Derrick Battle, Councilperson Kathy Carter, Councilperson Kathy Bookout, Robbie Rokovitz, Kelly Hundley, Cynthia Geyer, Chief VandeZande, Carmen Rollins, Paul Burleson, Helene Fitzgerald, Bob Bookout, Buddy Harrelson, Gary Weekley, Bob Tressel, Rich Erdman, Richard Grant, Brittani Kelley, Chantal Senra, Brad Frazier, Rob Cejno, Rockwell Sarraha, Jamie Gilbert.
- Mayor Devey read the procedures for the Public Hearing. The Public Hearing was to consider two Sign Variance applications submitted by Aspen Dental.
- Mr. Hundley reviewed the Sign Ordinance and Variance Requirements. Mr. Hundley also presented the Staff recommendation to the Council which was to deny the Variance requests.
- Rich Erdman presented the invocation and led the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Brad Frazier, spoke on behalf of Aspen Dental Variance applications. He showed pictures of current Aspen Dental locations and pictures of surrounding businesses. He requested approval of the applications so that Aspen Dental could be identified from Highway 92.
- Public Hearing was closed and Mayor Devey opened the Regular Session.
Regular Session Summary
- Mayor Devey presented a Proclamation for Mayors Day for National Service to the Paulding County 4H Office AmeriCorps Community Service Specialist – Chantal Senra and her Supervisor, Brittani Kelley.
- Board of Ethics Appointees: 1) Mayor Devey appointed Gerald (Gerry) Fellows; 2) City Council appointed Helene Fitzgerald; 3) Mayor nominated and City Council appointed Michelle Lokhorst.
- City Council denied the two Sign Variance applications submitted by Aspen Dental for an additional wall sign on the east side of the building, facing 92 and an additional wall sign on the north side of the building, facing the shopping center parking lot.
- Approved the amendment to the City of Hiram Employee Handbook in Section III. Compensation - paragraph A.2. Overtime and paragraph B.2. Paid Time Off (PTO) with respect to the Police Department Schedule Change effective March 29, 2014.
- Mr. Gary Weekley introduced the establishment of the Downtown Hiram Business Association. There are currently 5 member businesses, they have filed for their incorporation and are working on the 501c designation. Mr. Weekley asked for the City’s support and partnership in ensuring the Downtown area prospers. The Business Association has many ideas on advertising and events.
- Mayor announced several upcoming events: April 10 – Paulding Business Association Lunch; April 15 – Industry Appreciation Breakfast; April 17 – Paulding County Special Olympics; April 29 – Cobb Community Foundation Luncheon; April 29 – Council Work Session; May 2 – Paulding County Superior Court Alcohols and Drug Awareness Program.
- Mayor and Council went into Executive Session to review pending Litigation.
- Mayor and Council returned and reopened the Regular Session.
- The Regular Session was adjourned.